There are a few instances when you need to have re-keys made for your locks. Rekeying is a simple procedure where by adjusting the tumblers inside a lock you can use a new key without needing to change the whole lock.
Why You Would Need to Rekey Your Locks
- If you have bought a house that had previous owners or tenants, then you will need to rekey your locks.
- If you suspect that someone has made an unauthorized key, then be safe and rekey your locks.
- If you have had a burglary or an attempted burglary and you think your locks have been compromised, then it is definitely time to rekey your locks.
Can You Do It Yourself Or Do You Need A Locksmith
There are rekeying kits available for every type and make of lock, so you can try doing the rekeying yourself. Although this may sound like a simple task, it can be quite difficult, especially if you are not technically inclined, and a locksmith will eventually have to be called in to fix or complete the job.
Avoid the extra costs and inconvenience and simply get your Local Locksmith in Orlando to do the installation for you.
How Long does It Take To Have Your Lock Rekeyed?
Discuss the matter with your local locksmith and find out what would be the best, and most economical, option for you. You have the option of either removing the locks and taking them in to your locksmith for rekeying, or alternatively, you can get the locksmith to come to your home or office and do the job onsite.
Although home locks are easy to remove, office and factory locks are more complex and it is best to get a locksmith to do the work onsite. Although the re-keys only take a few minutes, it can take much longer to remove the locks from the door.
A Master Key System
When you are having your home or office rekeyed, you should also consider having a master key made at the same time. A Master Key System allows you to make one key that will be able to open all the doors in your home or office. This is a simpler and more secure option and is also more convenient because:
- It allows you to have control over all the locks in your home or office.
- It gives you a simple one key fits all system that will open all your doors with the use of a single key.
- It eliminates the need to carry around bunches of keys for all your doors.
- It is very handy in the event of an emergency as you will not have to waste time looking for different keys.
Can You Add More Locks Later?
If your system is designed by a competent locksmith, he will leave room for it to be expanded later; this means that if you add locks to your home or office at a later date, they can easily be incorporated into your master key system.
Re-keys are a practical and economical way of “changing your locks” without actually having to change your locks. Be smart, get professional help and have the job done quickly and without fuss.